Thursday, March 14, 2013

Kumamoto Castle

Man, this thing is killing me. I was having some neck problems for a while and then I was on vacation for three weeks, and now I'm struggling to recall events that happened like ten weeks ago.

Anyway, the whole stupid reason that Kumamoto was on our travel itinerary was because of Kumamoto Castle, supposedly one of the best castles in Japan. But when we got there we found out that it had just closed for New Year's and would not reopen until after we'd moved on. So I was pretty pissed about that. However, it was easy enough to get onto the castle grounds and take pictures from the outside. Let's just hope the inside is wicked boring.

I think this is the first part of the castle complex that we saw, and we were able to enter through a big gate somewhere.




Here is the main building in the castle from inside the gate, slightly photo-bombed by Ed.


It had a few satellite buildings like this:


And walls:


Then we got closer.

We tried to take a few selfies with the tower in the background, but Ed's giant head kept getting in the way.


Eventually he figured it out, though.


Here's the side of the building.



Then we were walking through some park or something and looked at it from a long ways off.



We did a nice selfie, then some that I ruined.



 Then I must have been confused about something.




So now I'm getting my timeline confused, but at some point, we were wandering around Kumamoto, looking for the one museum that didn't explicitly say it was closed around New Year's. We got a little lost and were walking in some quiet area when I heard a little cry and my Kitty Alarm went off. Then we found this desperate kitty, who was crying nonstop and needing love. We stayed with it for a little while. Ed thought maybe the kitty had lost its peeps. It even followed us a little bit when we finally had to go. I hope that kitty found its peeps.


 Here is an expression of my defeat when we finally reached the museum, which I think was a samurai museum, after like an hour of walking or something, only to find it closed. WAH' waw.

No comments:

Post a Comment